Shared accommodations are always best if you are a student or a couple with no kids; mainly due to its affordability. You might need to pay a deposit of at least a month’s rent in advance plus rent in advance every month. The rent usually inclusive of all the bills unless otherwise notified by the landlord, you need to check with your landlord prior to the agreement. If you rent a room in your landlord’s home and share living space with them such as the bathroom or kitchen, then you might be what’s commonly known as a lodger.

If you’re a lodger, you’ll probably also be an ‘excluded occupier’ – this will mean you have very few legal rights. 

You’ll be an excluded occupier if:

  • you share your living space with your landlord – this doesn’t include areas that give you access to your home, for example, a corridor or staircase
  • the property is your landlord’s main home and has been from the date you moved in

Excluded occupiers may have some contractual rights that have been agreed verbally with your landlord or that are set out in your agreement. However, it can be difficult to enforce your rights because excluded occupiers can be evicted easily.

Check the type of agreement you have with your landlord

There are 2 types of agreement you might have with your landlord – you’ll either have an ‘excluded license’ or an ‘excluded tenancy.

You’ll probably have an excluded license if your agreement doesn’t give you exclusive access to any area in the property and your landlord can go wherever they like.

You’ll have an excluded tenancy if you have exclusive use of your own room that your landlord isn’t allowed to enter. You’ll still share other living spaces with them. Find out more about your rights if you have an excluded tenancy.

You can find guidance about your rights as a lodger on GOV.UK.


You must make sure the rent is paid, otherwise, your landlord can try to evict you. 

Your agreement will normally state: 

  • how much the rent is
  • what it includes
  • who it should be paid to
  • when it should be paid
  • how it can be increased

If you pay your rent weekly, your landlord must give you a rent book. However, this doesn’t apply if you pay for meals as part of your rent – this is known as paying ‘board’.

If you don’t pay rent weekly or don’t have a rent book, it’s best to keep proof of your rent payments – for example, bank statements or receipts.

Use the following sites for finding shared accommodation

Renting a home

When you are renting a home it is important for you to know what you can afford and understand the kind of rental agreement you are entering into. Find out about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant so that you can follow the rules. Click here to find helpful information on problems you may have while renting. Find out what to do if you are facing eviction.

Number of bedrooms

The number of bedrooms and the size of home depends on your individual housing needs,you need to discuss with your letting agent for further information.

please find the table below to find out more about the number of bedrooms households need and the size of home

Zero deposit scheme

Zero Deposit is a no deposit rental scheme which is regulated by the FCA and their claims process is designed to give everyone peace of mind. That means you don’t need to pay any upfront security deposits for renting a house in the UK. Zero deposit scheme replaces the traditional cash deposit.

Its not free though, it costs the equivalent of one week’s rent plus a £49 set up fee at the point you move in, and then £17.50 each year. Use the link below for more details.


Household descriptionSize of home (Number of bedrooms)
Single person/coupleBedsit, 1, 2
Couple/single parent with one child or two children under the age of 102
Couple/single parent with two children where one is under the age of 10 and one is 10 or over3
Family with up to four children under the age of 103
Family with four children3 or 4
Family with four adult children4 or more

Use the following links for the best sites for renting houses/finding accommodation in UK or find rooms for rent in UK


Vishal madhu · October 8, 2021 at 2:39 am

I got admission in Hertfordshire university.. I am looking for a accomodation around £100-£300 monthly.

Nebin · June 9, 2022 at 4:14 pm

I got admission to Coventry University London campus. I am looking for an accommodation for around £100-£450 monthly

Prasanth · June 12, 2022 at 8:16 am

Hey I would appreciate if there are any leads for a 2 bed room house near to cf103pw for rent,from July first week onwards thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »